Friday, October 2, 2009

WWJE?

Cross-posted from my blog at www.burbankfumc.com

I'm sure you've seen the buttons and the bumper stickers designed to make us think: WWJD?

What would Jesus do?

But I have a variation.

Who Would Jesus Exclude?

Wayne's sermon this week was so on point to where I was in my head, it was like he read my mind, seriously! And that list of people that the newspaper forum pastor would leave out of heaven:

"It would include liberals overall, homosexuals, couples living together outside of marriage, anyone who supports abortion at any point, most all people of other faiths, people who don’t interpret scripture literally, those who think we imprison too many people in our country, leaders of countries with different governance systems than the United States..."

Funny thing is, I am or have been in six of those categories! So either I'm out of luck, or that guy is wrong. I know which one I hope!

Funnier still, or maybe just odder, I don't think Jesus would exclude anyone. Really. I mean, he included tax collectors and Philistines, prostitutes and thieves. Jesus certainly accepted people of other faiths, and sympathized with the imprisoned. We know He never said anything about homosexuals at all.

At any rate, acceptance of others, not just tolerance, not just politeness, not even just cold civility are enough. Acceptance. Even love. Remember the sermon from long ago about agape love? Agape has been defined as "an intentional response to promote well-being when responding to that which has generated ill-being." That might be a bit convoluted but seems to be saying, wish well even upon those who wish us ill.

It would be nice if no one wished anyone else ill will, regardless of differences of opinion, but that is an awful lot to expect, isn't it? If we could all peacefully coexist, that would change the world. Ahem.

Change the world.

That sounds awfully good to me.

May peace prevail upon the earth.

This is my response to a really odd experience I had at an event last weekend. The Pastor couldn't have been more on point if he had been sitting next to me at the time (he was not present).

Why is it so hard for some people to co-exist with others who disagree with them? Why must they lash out? Why must they act like poorly adjusted schoolyard bullies? Why do some people who profess to be Christians continue to behave as though they are "those without sin?"

I am determined to be open and welcoming to all. However, I do retain my freedom to express my opinions in a civil way and to protect myself and those I love from abuse and attack.

May peace prevail upon the earth.

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't their Bible have the verse "Judge not lest ye be judged"?

    ReplyDelete